Thursday, 3 December 2009
DIY / Make Your Own Oven Chips
1. Cut out any bad parts of the potato(s)wash and then cut into chip sized slices as per the top left image, don't bother to remove the skin.
2. Place them in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Let them stand for 10 minutes or so in order to rinse out the surface starch; slosh them around a few times in the process.
3. Drain the saucepan and then cover the chips with boiling water, leave for 3-4 minutes.
4. Drain out the water and dry the chips on a towel as in the top RH image. If you click on the image to enlarge it you will see that the outer parts of the chips have changed colour as they have become par boiled.
5. Place the chips onto an oiled tray, shake them around and brush with the oil.
6. Place into a hot oven (shake them once or twice) until golden brown and crispy, as they are on the bottom RHS image.
Posted by Fr. Peter Doodes at 08:00